Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Good First Day? Have A Theme for Your Year and A Short Story Recommendation . . .

Here's hoping you survived the first day (for some of you). For all teachers, if you want to form a connection or make an impression with your students try having a theme for the year.  One year my theme was pirates - we were going on journeys, decorations had a nautical theme, I gave out Life Savers.  It was one of my best years ever.  I even had a faux parrot in the room and I must admit that "Polly" and I had conversations with the class.  That winter break, I got more pirate-themed gifts - very cute and appropriate - than I can list.

I think I just hit on the theme one day flipping through television channels - so let something inspire you. :-) I found that having mementos and photos around the classroom created opportunities for sharing.  Hopefully, you have already gotten students started on their personal collage for back-to-school night.  Also, you have the 3 x 4 or larger cards for parents or guardians to write three positive statements about their child.

I have rotator cuff surgery tomorrow and it reminded me of one of my favorite (not everyone's cup of tea) short story by Jack London: "The Unexpected".  I love this story because the main character is a very, very observant woman.  She doesn't just observe the "normal" stuff, but has learned to look for things that others might miss.  I think this is an important life skill and of course, in the story - it saves her life and the life of her husband.  The story itself doesn't have to be used in its entirety.  As a matter of fact, no piece of writing has to be analyzed to death.  Pick out the relevant parts and try telling them as a story teller.  Shorten them or have student groups act them out.

I don't know when I'll be up to writing again - soon I hope.  As long as my elbow stays close to my body, I can use my fingers. Let me know if you have a topic you'd like to have researched.


No comments:

Post a Comment