Monday, September 1, 2014

Topics I Care About - You Should Too! Too Much Technology - Students Need To Understand the Pros and Cons

Two local high schools have initiatives involving handing out tablets to either all of the students, Manassas Park or just the ninth and tenth graders in Osbourn High School in Manassas, Virginia.  I am a proponent of a solid use of technology and have presented my followers with links to two programs that I think give students the skills they need while keeping them clear of the social media mainstream.


Some of my favorite books and why: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury because it paints a picture of a technological future where books are burned because they offended minorities or special interest groups and soon began to all sound the same.  People are all "happy" and entertained by wall-sized television sets and listen to music on Seashell Radio sets attached to their ears except that Mildred, Montag's wife attempts suicide and turns him in to the authorities.

This book can help students understand the possible isolation and "sameness" created by social media. When students understand that this book was written in 1953, it makes it even more compelling.

The Giver by Lois Lowry is a book about the future where all pain, war, fear and basically critical decision making has been eliminated. Jonas must take on the role of the Giver and hold all the memories for the society and he becomes convinced that there is a world beyond the "bubble" of safety and eugenics that is "Giverland". Technology has "fixed" this world so that everything is shades of gray.  Emotions are harmful.

This is why STEM without a solid literature and English program to provide students with critical thinking skills about the limits and problems a technologically "wonderful" society might produce troubles me. Friday, I had to have my hair cut very short because I won't have use of my right arm/hand until the surgeon clears me to move my arm after the rotator cuff surgery and I noticed a 3-year-old girl playing on her phone.  In fact, almost no one in the salon was interacting with each other (parent/child) they were all on some electronic device.

We love our children! So read to them.  The other day while I was in the ER for four hours with my mom, I read aloud to her as she had read aloud to me and I had read aloud to my daughter.  I also made up stories for my daughter to pass the time. Talk to them about big issues - ask them questions and listen.  This is what I do with my 28-year-old daughter now when we go on play dates.

No comments:

Post a Comment