Friday, August 8, 2014

Conversations With Kids - How to Know You Were Born To Be A Teacher . . .

Do you ever wonder if teachers are born, made or a combination of both? I decided in sixth grade to become a teacher after having an earnest conversation with my dachshund, Rusty. I wanted to be a middle school choir director because Ms. Thout was so beautiful and I idolized her, but when I found out I would have to pass a test on three different musical instruments to qualify, I decided that being a regular sixth-grade teacher would be just fine.

I had a great sixth-grade teacher, Mr. Collins, who made it snow and taught us poetry.  He was one of my favorite teachers of all time.  I missed a lot of school because my parents divorced that year and I was living with my mom.  We fought all the time and I was out of control. Seventh grade was even worse. The four things I remember about that year are: President Kennedy was assassinated while we were having a football game; John Klima, me and three other kids had a secret spy ring and passed notes in code in different classes; I had a crush on Ms. Thout, and I sang a folk song - "Blowing in the Wind" in the talent show - the flood lights blinded me, but I did okay.

But I knew I was going to be a teacher.  I went back to live with my dad and stepmother for eighth grade and didn't know until later they'd nicknamed me "Hamlet" - the dark prince of Denmark because I was always moodily reading in my bedroom. I thought my Civics teacher was cool, but my science teacher that year was so obese, he died in the classroom sitting in his chair.  He had a heart attack.

So what's the point? I had teachers I loved because they were passionate about what they taught. That's what I realized as an adult looking back.  Whether I "learned" the curriculum or not wasn't really all that important - I was a person to them and they made their subject important to me. They knew how to talk to kids.

Today I met a precocious four-year-old and we had a great conversation -at first she said: Too much information because she thought I was talking too much.. But then I asked her about her shoes and then her favorite color and on and on. One question led to another and then she had some questions for me that were related to what I had asked her.

I also pointed to or touched objects in the beauty salon and encouraged her to (safely of course) touch and show me things, too. One of the stylists said, "You must really like kids."

Yes, I thought enjoying my honest and fresh conversation with the eager four-year-old. I really like kids and that's how you know (and how I knew) you were born to be a teacher.  You just get such a kick out of the honest exchange or conversation you can have with kids. So spend some time enjoying your students - just chat with them or just have some random conversations with kids you meet as you go about your day - it can be a renewal of your commitment to your career. You'll remember why you wanted to be a teacher in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment