Tuesday, August 12, 2014

What Can You Do for R & R Before School Starts?

Teachers are notorious for taking care of everyone else.  I have known teachers who not only bring their best to the classroom every day, but then volunteer as scout leaders, literacy volunteers, work with inmates, work in neonatal units, help with clubs, coach and the list of the extras that these selfless teachers do is amazing.  They are fantastic role models for their students.  However, before this year starts please make a plan to do something for yourself. I've been in your shoes and made excuses - no money, no time, need to get ready for the start of school. Then by Thanksgiving, I'd start to feel really tired and wish I had used some time in August to put together some fun time for me.

I hope you will find some time to surf local Groupons or other deals and grab a massage, a quick weekend away or just binge on some movie nights and veg out. One thing I love to do is to grab the Vamoose Bus from D.C. to New York City which is only $50 round trip.  After boarding the bus in Roslynn, Virginia, around 7:30 am, you arrive after four hours right at Penn Station in mid-town Manhattan or around 1:00 pm.

You can load a Metro card and ride the subway to an inexpensive hotel in the theater district. I find great deals on the various Internet sites. There's a reason I stay in the theater district - I go to a free taping of the "Late Night Show" (it used to star Jimmy Fallon, but now it's Seth Meyers). I have my camera and spend time roaming Central Park, Times Square, Washington Square, Canal Street and go wherever I feel called to spend quality time in the "Big Apple". The theater district makes it easy to walk to Rockefeller Square and other destinations. Plus catching the Metro is easy - just avoid the express lines.

Inexpensive theater tickets are available in Time Square or if you like Broadway on Facebook you can find discounted tickets. I walk to dinner, my show and take in museums and sometimes other television shows that are being taped. I've even gotten $400 in free merchandise from the Dr. Oz show.

When you take mini vacations or feed your passions, you build knowledge and get some R & R.  This makes you a better teacher and you'll make it to Winter Break knowing that you took care of yourself so you could take better care of your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment