Sunday, August 31, 2014

Many Apologies For Lack of Posts - Getting Ready for Rotator Cuff Surgery On Wednesday

I must apologize for not posting for the last several days.  I have been trying to get everything ready for major surgery on Wednesday, September 3 - that will leave me with only my left hand able to operate.  I've already been practicing living with only one hand being able to lift, open everything, close everything, wash, shave, dry my hair, open medicine bottles and it has been a learning experience.  I now know that I have had little or no real appreciation for what it is like to be really handicapped.

As educators, I hope we can remember that students often have handicaps that aren't visible. Emotional needs are just as debilitating as physical ones and often, in the press of the "official business" of teaching, we lose perspective of our humanity. I hope to have time in the next two days to post some of the exciting finds I've made before I have my surgery.  My surgeon says that I will be able to type with my arm in a neutral position at some point and I do have the Dragon (types what you talk) software.  However, he is quite a dragon himself (the surgeon) and has made me swear not to move any part of my right arm or hand without his express permission.

I hope things are going well for those of you who have started teaching and for those of you who go back on Tuesday - best wishes for a safe, happy and special school year.  Be kind to yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment