Monday, June 16, 2014

The Dreaded Research Paper - can it be any better?

The dreaded research paper – how do you tackle that assignment?  Over my thirty-five years of assigning formal research papers or papers that required research and proper documentation, I have found a few things that made life easier.
Start teaching the basic MLA or proper style format your school district uses from day one for:
Books; Internet sources; Magazines, and newspapers.  I created posters – had them laminated and hung them around the room.  Each week, I had a quiz or test – students were asked to write an imaginary bibliography for a source using the correct format.  Even with the signs hanging in the room – many still had errors, but practice does help improve their command of proper documentation throughout the year and understand the plagiarism will not be tolerated.

If you can – choose a broad umbrella topic. One year I did: Medicine from the middle ages compared to modern medicine – better in most cases?  My students did oral reports using visual aids with this one and although some of the information was pretty ghastly – they loved it. Having an umbrella topic helps you connect with the librarian, your very best friend in collecting sources and getting a better handle on introductory and closing paragraphs.

Please teach outlining – do not let students outline the opening or closing paragraphs.  The purpose of the outline is to show the structure of the research: main topics: sub topics; details and supporting details.  I finally started having my students add the source (properly formatted) to the outline so that I could really dig into the logic of their organization before I reviewed their first drafts.  When I came up with this bright idea – it saved me a lot of time because I was able to catch mistakes of organization in their writing. Having the source identified allowed me to see if the student had made an honest effort to find relevant and/or up-to-date material.

To get ideas for umbrella topics – look to other content areas or non-fiction possibilities generated by the literary pieces you teach.  Try to find topics that don’t exist on the Internet.  When my daughter was in high school – I am sad to say that she did not have one research paper except for freshman year – that could not be found on the Internet. What was her freshman year assignment? 

Every freshman in her high school had to research potential jobs that would exist ten years in the future, find out what it would take to be eligible to be hired for the position, what the salary would be and other data related to the job and possible pluses and minuses for the field of employment.  Because of that paper, my daughter is a successful C.P.S today and knew exactly what moves she needed to take to insure her future.


Yes, I know there are software programs to catch plagiarism, but wouldn’t you rather build dynamic topic choices with your students that didn’t create that problem to start with?  Research papers can be a source of pain or pleasure – I happen to think that handled properly – focusing on topic choice – students can become consumers of information and understand how to use it to their advantage.  I have a really great follow-up assignment mixing research with creating a children’s book. So look forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment